What are developmental disibilities?The term developmental disabilities includes Intellectual Disabilites, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Epilepsy, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, Traumatic Brain Injury, and Fragile X Syndrome, and more.
Why should you care?Today, thanks to The Arc, residential, vocational, and educational services are available all over Minnesota. People with disabilities and their families have better choices: support services are available, jobs in the community, residences vs institutional living, recreation options, public transportation, and inclusive education.
Arc Kandiyohi County sponsors the following opportunities:
- Support and Advocacy
- Resources and materials library
- Educational Opportunities for Consumer, Parents, and Professionals
- Networking including schools, county providers, and agencies
- People First and Senior Companion programs
- Special Events (dances, picnics, fun days)
- Rec & Leisure Scholarship Funds
- Post Secondary Scholarship Funds
We are part of a nationwide organization made up of parents, members, volunteers and professionals who work to enrich the lives of people with developmental disabilities.
The Arc was founded by parents in 1946 and is the largest grassroots organization of its kind in the country.
Our vision is a world where people with developmental disabilities have equal opportunities to choose where they live, work and play.